I was born and grew up in Central New Jersey and graduated from North Plainfield High School. I was fortunate to be selected for the first year of the combined B.A.-M.D. 6-year program at Boston University in 1961 and graduated with a B.A. and M.D. in 1967. I then had my Pediatric training at the University of Minnesota Hospitals before then joining the NCI as a Clinical Associate in the Leukemia Branch from 1969-72. I was recruited to Childrens Hospital and U.S.C. in 1972 as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics by Dr. Myron Karon and was appointed the Head of the Division of Hematology-Oncology in 1976 after Dr. Karon
Description:My primary interests are in clinical therapeutic and supportive care research in pediatric oncology where my focus has been in neuroblastoma, non-hodgkins lymphoma, Ewings Sarcoma, Acute lymphoblastic leukemia and brain tumors.
- Clinical Trials in Pediatric Cancer
- Developmental Therapeutics in Pediatric Cancer
- Psychosocial aspects of Pediatric Cancer
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Infection in the Compromised Host
HISTORY & EDUCATION
- Boston University, MD, 1967
- University of Minnesota Hospitals (Pediatrics), 1967 – 1968
- University of Minnesota Hospitals (Pedatrics), 1968 – 1969
- Leukemia Branch, National Cancer Institute, NIH (Pediatric Oncology), 1969 – 1972
- American Board of Pediatrics, 1973
- Specialty Board Certified Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, 1976
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Massachusetts Medical Society Prize, 1967
- University Hospital Prize, 1967
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1966
- University of Minnesota Medical Students Resident Award, 1969
- Collegium of Distinguished Alumni Award, CAS, Boston University, 1984
- Distinguished Alumni Award, MED, Boston University, 1997
- Boston University Alumni Award, 2003
- Concern Foundation Honoree, 1991
- El Sueno de Esparanza, Padres Contra El Cancer, 2000
- Crystal Heart Award, Chase Foundation, 1991
- Israel Cancer Research Foundation Honoree, 1994
- Distinguished Service Award, CHLA, 1984
- National Caring Award, The Caring Institute, 2001
- The Kim Hill Award, Ronald McDonald House, 1990
- Honorary Professor of Pediatric, Chinese General Hospital of the People's Liberation Army, Bejing, P.R.C., 2000
- Childrens Hospital Los Angeles
- Ventura County Medical Center
- Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena
- Selected Publications
Siegel SE, Levine AS. Virus-specific Nucleic Acids in Simian Virus 40-transformed Hamster Cell Clones varying in Oncogenic Potential. J. Nat. Cancer Inst., 49: 1667-1673,1972.
- Nachum R, Lipsey A, Siegel SE. Rapid Detection of Gram-Negative Bacterial Meningitis by the Limulus Lysate Test. New Eng. J. Med., 289: 931-934, 1973.
- Siegel SE, Nesbit ME, Baehner R, Sather H, Hammond GD. Pneumonia during Therapy of Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Am. J. Dis. Child., 134: 28-34, 1980.
- Seeger RC, Brodeur GM, Sather H, Dalton A, Siegel SE, Wong KY, Hammond GD. Association of Multiple Copies of the N-myc Oncogene with rapid Progression of Neuroblastomas. New Eng. J. Med., 313: 1111-1116, 1985.
- Sposto R, Meadows AT, Chilcote RR, Kjeldsberg C, Kadin ME, Krailo MD, Morse M, Siegel SE. Comparison of long-term outcome of children and adolescents with disseminated non-Hodgkins lymphoma treated with COMP or Daunomycin-COMP: A report from the Childrens Cancer Group. Med Pediatr Oncol, 37: 432-441, 2001.
Direct link to profile: http://keck.usc.edu/profiles?facid=1069